Saturday, December 03, 2005

the one about taipei

Woohoo. Taipei was a blast! We did mostly shopping and more shopping at night markets and shopping districts, but we did go sight-seeing and such, not much though. Alright, I'll show you the pictures I took there, all of which are interesting to me, mostly pictures of food and more food, night markets, streets..blah..

Lots of pictures ahead. If you are sick of waiting for the pictures to load, then can just read the captions.



One of the night markets in Taipei. If I'm correct, it's Xihua Street or something. The market was freaking big and sold everything from sex toys to snake meat.



Another shot of the night market. Actually I only took pictures of this certain night market. The others were far too crowded to take a good picture. The other night markets were also much more fun so I was busy enjoying myself instead of taking pictures.



They sell handphones like that at the night market. Prices wise, slightly cheaper than what you can find in Singapore. You just need to have a SIM card and then you can start using them. But it's just the handphone, no head piece or whatever provided. Rather unreliable.



The regular squid balls you find at Takopachi (how do you spell it?). 6 for SG$1.70. How much does Singapore sell them? 3 for SG$2.00. And the Taiwan version is crispier and does not taste too much like flour. Damn.



One of the reasons why I came back to Taiwan. Rice topped with braised minced pork and some sauce. Cheap at about SG$1.00 per bowl. Simple yet heavenly. :D



Something you can find in Taipei's food courts, which are huge by the way. This was taken in the basement food court in Taipei 101 tower. In that hot plate, you can find noodles, beef, egg and vegetables. Rather expensive but still worth it.



Oh yah, a certain shop which sells snake soup. The other shops did not allow me to take pictures. I think I saw this shop on television before, on one of those Taiwan food shows. And no, I didn't go in.



All the rules of driving that I learnt doesn't seem to apply in the streets of Taiwan. Motor scooters seem to travel wherever they like and pedestrians don't really have the right of way at a junction. They just chiong and chiong, but admist all the confusion on who's going where, there seemed to be a unspoken agreement between motorist and pedestrian, like my mum said, "Order admist disorder." Above is a typical street in Taiwan, near Ximenting where my hotel is.



Something you will never ever find in Singapore. People lining up, waiting to board the train. Lines have been drawn out for them. I wonder if it will ever work for Singapore.



One of Taipei's trademarks, Taipei 101 tower. There's a posh shopping area on the 1st five levels. I heard you had to buy tickets to go to the top. It's new, so the building is still pretty empty.



Children in Singapore play with Power Rangers and Pokemon, children in Taiwan play with live crabs. Live crabs! Muahaha, damn dangerous sia. Looks fun though, someday I shall try. But all the crabs I see in Singapore are usually cooked and seasoned with lots of pepper, so I guess I'll just play with my Pink Ranger action figure.



Next to the hotel toilet door. Ahhahaha, damn funny. It's quite easy to guess the meaning though. :P


So here's Taipei for you! Not a very vivid description of it, but that's what I got. Oh yah, I suddenly remembered! My taiwan friend told me that schools in Taiwan just abolished all school rules on hairstyles! Like wtf? Do you know how lucky those people are? Everything is allowed, damn it. Argh..doubt it will ever happen in Singapore.

Haha..okay, hoped you liked the pictures. I'll show you what I bought in the next post. Till then, good bye!

4 Comments:

At Sunday, December 04, 2005 3:42:00 PM, Blogger Darthsid said...

Haha.

Funky, man.

 
At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:47:00 PM, Blogger Sak said...

i don't get the meaning of the sign

 
At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 8:07:00 PM, Blogger jomama said...

I like the Singapore/Taiwan comparisons. You got any more?

"Fuck" signs are a lotta fun too.

 
At Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:36:00 AM, Blogger weihao said...

sak: Basically, it just warns people to becareful of slipping when the floor is wet.

jomama: You like 'Fuck' signs? Have you read my latest post?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home