Wednesday, September 07, 2005

the one about levitation

If you happened to catch one of those re-re runs of 'David Blaine Street Magic', be sure to look out for the part where he levitates. I've been trying to figure out how in the world he does that, but I still can't despite the re-re-re runs of the show.

The ability to levitate with your 2 feet leaving the ground is humanely impossible, or what others might put it, inhumanely possible. I personally feel it is both. The only possibility I can think of now is that Blaine did the entire levitation thingey using computer effects, and the passers-by were probably Hollywood D-listers paid 50c an hour to act surprised. Otherwise, he's probably a retired professional basketballer with ridiculous hang time.

So intrigued was I that I decided to try to levitate myself. As I played basketball back in high school, I figured I prolly had an advantage. However, in a bid to maximise the distance between my feet and the ground, I jumped too high and hit my head against the stairs. That aside, I think I managed 0.5 seconds. That's half a second, pretty good!

It was not until a few days later when a certain friend came by and taught me the levitation trick. It involved facing 37 degrees(or was it 36?)away from your target audience, such that the front portion of your left foot remained hidden behind your right. And then you raise everything but your left toes. uh..yea, something along that line. Go experiment yourself. David Blaine didn't use this anyway, his 2 feet was off the ground. But I guess this trick is the best thing after computer effects. :)

And yes, my dad fell for the trick twice. I "levitated" twice on 2 seperate occasions and he looked surprised too, just like the D-listers on TV, except he isn't paid 50c an hour. No, he ain't stupid. Don't you ever say my Dad is stupid or gullible or whatsoever. Like son like father so he is actually a genius. My trick looked freaking real, that's all. Oh yes, when I "levitated" in front of my mum, she looked at me as though I had turned satanic.

Hmm. So anyone got answers? How does Blaine do it? Meanwhile, check this guy out. He makes Blaine's levitation look stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home