Saturday, April 14, 2007

the one about my grandma and the great food she cooks

Just went back to my grandma's place to collect food. Kinda a custom for us now..she likes cooking food for the whole family, although she's more or less living alone now that the grandchildren have all grown up and left. So we visit at times and other times, she calls us back to collect food.

She's a great cook I can't deny. Let's see...fried rice, chicken drumlets, veggies, fish...blah blah..all home cooked goodness. She knows I like fried rice, so most of the time she cooks it for my family.

Haha..she likes to give a lot though..and we usually only finish her food only after several days. Overnight, but still tastes great. I guess it's something you call the 'home' flavour. A special taste you can't find anywhere else.

She's rather active and quick for her age. Like how I saw her bustling around the house this morning in quick steps, fetching giant plastics bags to store her fare, back to the stove to whip up more drumlets then to the table to pack the fried rice into little cardboard boxes.

Helped her with folding the flat cardboard into small boxes and cutting up those brown paper to fit into them. In all, 2 boxes of fried rice, 1 box of drumlets, 1 box of nuggets, 1 container of vegetables, a bottle of homemade chilli (oh I helped her mix the sugar with the chilli), 2 packets of glutinous rice and 3 fried fishes were packed.

And she gives us loads of snacks and drinks as well. Today she gave me 18 packets of drink, 2 sticks of mentos and 2 boxes of chicken essence. All for a family of 3.

Before leaving the house, she grabbed some ferrero rochre from the living room table and stuffed it into a tin can, before shoving it in one of the plastic bags. That's my grandma for you.

As I turned out into the small road, she was there, waiting to pass me another bottle of homemade chilli she overlooked before. So I drove back with a bottle of homemade chilli sitting in the cup holder. Cute. :D

That's still okay..for I remember in the past she would shout from the 6th floor(did she? can't remember already) and throw the stuff down from there and we'll have to be there to catch it. Other times, she would frantically ring us on the phone to tell us to wait while she sent the maid down to deliver the forgotten items. The other time this thing happened it was a cucumber. I think.

Ok, I think I'll go eat some fried rice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home